There are many options when it comes to removing unwanted body hair from tweezing and shaving to waxing and threading, there’s something for everyone.
Laser hair removal is one of the few options that offers a more permanent solution. Before deciding to have laser hair removal, it’s a good idea to do your research.
So, here are some facts about laser hair removal to get you started.
1. It isn’t as painful as it sounds. Laser hair removal works by targeting the pigment in the hair follicles. This causes a quick, sharp pain that is usually more painful on thinner areas of skin. However, most lasers have a cooling mechanism that blasts cold air to combat this discomfort.
2. Patience is key. Results are not instantaneous. It takes two to three weeks after your first treatment to see a difference and 8-12 treatments to get full results. It’s important to be consistent with your treatments because the follicles are all in different stages of growth and you need to zap them all.
3. You can shave before your treatment. Yes, really! It’s actually recommended to shave before your treatment to prevent burning the surface hair and irritating the skin.
4. The procedure is quick. For a full-face appointment, it only takes about 20 minutes. Large areas will take a bit longer.
5. You need to skip the gym after your treatment. The heat from the laser stays in your skin for about 24 hours after the treatment. Therefore, you should avoid the gym, sauna, and hot showers/baths. This could create a warm environment that would allow bacteria to thrive.
6. No sun exposure. If you have a tan, you may need to wait until it fades before you can have treatment. Also, you need to avoid sun exposure before and after your treatment. Your dermatologist can advice you more about this.
[Related: Laser Hair Removal in the Summer]
7. Laser treatment may stimulate more growth. Particular hair types may be triggered to grow longer and thicker by laser hair removal. Your dermatologist will do an exam and determine if your hair type is suitable for the treatment.
8. Your beauty routine will change. For 2 days before and after your treatment, you will need to avoid scrubs, glycolic acid and retinol creams. You should also avoid chemical peels for 2 weeks before and after your treatment. You may also choose to add an extra moisturizer to your routine if you experience dryness after your treatment.
9. There are other benefits to laser hair removal. It might surprise you to learn that laser hair removal can also help with ingrown hairs!
10. No plucking, waxing, or dying. These all impede the process, so they need to be avoided. If you want to remain hairless during your treatment, stick to shaving.
11. It works on all skin types. Although it is harder to treat light or blonde hair, any skin type, including dark skin can be treated as long as the hair is dark enough to draw the laser.
12. You may need maintenance treatments. While most people report a 90% reduction in hair growth, you may still experience stray hairs. Hormone fluctuations in particular will cause the hair to begin growing again.
Laser Hair Removal and MedSpa of Arlington, Virginia
If you are interested in learning more about laser hair removal, contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our highly skilled and talented providers.